Are you planning a trip to Indonesia and want to know how to get to the Gili Islands from Bali ? You have arrived at the right place, here we will tell you the different options to get to the Gili Islands from Bali without you going crazy.
There are two ways to do it : one simpler and somewhat more expensive (with the variant of hiring from home) and another for authentic backpackers, with which you save a few thousand rupees but it will take you more time and effort. Which is yours?
The easiest and most comfortable option HOW TO GET TO GILI ISLANDS FROM BALI
This is the preferred option for most travelers. It consists of hiring a transport package that includes the collection by minibus in central areas of Bali (Denpasar, Ubud, Sanur, Nusa Dua, Candidasa … all these areas are included), the ferry to the island from the port of Padang Bai (in southeast of Bali) and if you take a round trip you will also have transportation to your final destination. The fast ferry ride takes just under two hours to Gili Trawangan.
- The pickup : it is done directly at the accommodation that you indicate approximately two hours before the ferry schedule. They are usually vans shared with other travelers or private cars hired by the company itself.
- Padang Bai Port : upon arrival you have to do the check-in process at the company’s office. They give you a sticker with the destination and the company you belong to and you will have to wait in the covered area of the port for your ferry to leave. Do not worry, there are employees who are in charge of announcing those who leave, but it is worth noting to take a look at those who wear your same sticker. Boarding is done from the port.
- Arrival on the island : the landing is made directly on the beach. There are some companies whose ferries have a catwalk (for example Eka Jaya) and others where you will have to jump to the shore of the beach (Wahana’s case).
- The return : go to the port half an hour in advance and look for the office where to do the check in process (for example Wahana is in front of the Ocean 2 restaurant), where they will give you a ballot with your final destination (Ubud, Denpasar , Candidasa, etc). When you arrive at the port of Bali, the workers will be waiting for you, which will indicate to you what is the transport that corresponds to you showing the piece of paper.
Where to book and price ( HOW TO GET TO GILI ISLANDS FROM BALI )
To make the reservation can be done through the websites of the companies themselves , an option that is usually somewhat more expensive and less personal or through a travel agency (bars, restaurants, hotels are also worth). Some companies are:
- Wahana : small boats, regular service, no seats at the top, landing at Gili without ramp and walking along the edge of the boat …
- Eka Jaya : larger boats, with seats on the upper terrace and landing ramp (without having to maneuver on the sides).
- Blue Water Express : company with better service, more expensive than the previous ones.
The price if you book online is fixed and usually costs about 650,000- 800,000 IDR per round trip. In the case where you choose the option to book through the agency, the final price will depend a lot on your bargaining power and the ferry company with which they work. They can be taken out for about 550,000 – 650,000 IDR .
The journey from Bali to Gili Trawangan takes just under 2 hours. Each company has its schedules, these are some of them:
- Padang Bai (Bali) → Gili: 09:00 / 13:00
- Gili → Padang Bai (Bali): 11:00 / 15:00
- Eka Jaya
- Padang Bai (Bali) → Gili: 09:00 / 11:00 / 13:00
- Gili → Padang Bai (Bali): 11:00 / 12:30 / 13:30
The least easy but cheapest option
There is an alternative to the bus + ferry package HOW TO GET TO GILI ISLANDS FROM BALI. It is to do it for free combining several transports and ferries until arriving at the destination. We warn you, it is much more complicated and it will take you a few extra hours, but if you are one of those who improvise aventurillas on the trip, of those that you later remember with some nostalgia (“that time that to save me € 10 I had to change a thousand times of ship … ”), Consider it! The thing would be like this:
- Arriving in Padang Bai on your own by bus (for example with the Perama company there are uses from Ubud for 75,000 IDR), in bemo (luck!) Or by taxi (or Uber or Grab alternatives ).
- Take a public ferry to the port of Lembar in Lombok. They leave every hour throughout the day and take about 4-5 hours (it can be something else in unfavorable weather conditions). The price of the ticket is 40,000 and they are bought at the port offices.
- From the port of Lembar you have to travel to the port of Bangsal (north of Lombok), from where ferries depart to Gili. To do this you have to take a bus from Perama that costs about 60,000 IRP and takes 1.5 hours (you can also try it with a bemo ).
- The last step is to take a public ferry to one of the three Gili Islands: Air (11,000 IRP), Meno (13,000 IRP) and Trawangan (15,000 IRP). The journey is much shorter than the previous ones (15-20 minutes).
Note: price might change
Hopefully your doubts about how to get to Gili Islands from Bali have been resolved! And if you find another way to do it, you know, stop by again and leave us your experience!