Since it became several decades ago in one of the most desired destinations on the planet, the Island of the Gods has not stopped changing surprising with its incredible ability to reinvent itself. Sometimes for good, many others unfortunately for bad. It will be up to you to decide on which side of the scale you place Canggu, the most fashionable place in Bali. What until only a few years ago was a small town surrounded by rice fields, is today the preferred place among surfers, yogis, digital nomads and influence’s. Do not stop reading because then we tell you:
The best 15 things to do in Canggu Bali
1. Surf . From pros to beginners in Canggu everyone has space to practice this sport. Of course, each in its specific space. Experts can enjoy fun sessions at Echo Beach . Those with an intermediate level will find their perfect wave at the break of Old Man’s on Batu Bolong Beach . And beginners have a good number of schools to choose from on the same beach in Batu Bolong with classes and rental of tables at a good price.
2. Connect with your inner self practicing yoga and meditation . Although Ubud has traditionally been the place chosen by the yogis who arrived in Bali, more and more are those who opt for the new and prestigious yoga schools of Canggu . With daily classes for beginners and advanced, The Practice and Samadi Bali are two of the best examples of this.
3. And after an intense yoga class or a fun surf session … why not pay homage enjoying a full breakfast in the purest healthy style of Canggu? Toast with eggs and avocado, fruit bowls with granola and seeds, pancakes, tropical juices … The list of delicacies for those who love this meal is endless! There are lots of rich places, but I recommend these two: Motion Cafe and Crate Cafe .
4. And because not only breakfast is lived (although I could do it!;)) … eat a good Nasi Campur , one of the star dishes of Indonesian cuisine. In addition to a lot of vegetarian, vegan and healthy western-style restaurants, in Canggu you can also find good warungs (family restaurants typical of Indonesia and Malaysia). Because one of the best things to do in Canggu is to taste the delicious local food.
Some of these mythical warungs , all of them on Canggu’s main street, are:
- Varuna (Pantai Batu Bolong St No.89)
- Bu Mi (Pantai Batu Bolong St No.52)
- Jaba (Pantai Batu Bolong St No.40A)
- Dandelion (Pantai Batu Bolong St No.10)
Don’t miss the Give Cafe Nasi Campur , where the money raised goes to charities . You decide to insert a wooden coin into an urn, where you want the money you paid for your food to go. In addition, not many know, but every day from 20.00 to 21.00 all the ingredients you choose for your Nasi Campur will cost you 50% of their original price.
5. Next things to do in Canggu Bali, take a shortcut that may become the longest in your entire life. Okay, so it doesn’t sound like one of the best things to do in one place … But you can’t say you know Canggu if you haven’t been through the famous shortcut that connects Berawa with Batu Bolong . So much fame for a simple shortcut? It turns out that this small road that makes its way between rice fields should be one way. And I say “should” because it really isn’t. So what in principle would be a good resource to save time, can sometimes become a traffic jam more typical of a large metropolis, with cars and motorcycles trying to circulate in both directions and with scenes of the most surreal. We anticipate that not all changes were positive!
6. For many, the coast of Bali is synonymous with VACATION (yes, with capital letters!). And for them (and not only) enjoying a day of sun , beach and relaxation is undoubtedly one of the best things to do in Canggu. Berawa , Echo Beach and Batu Bolong beaches are the most popular among travelers. All of them of black sand , each one has its own personality … different styles, for different tastes.
7. Drop by Old Man´s . If there is a place in Canggu that everyone knows, that is undoubtedly the mythical Old Man´s . A quiet brewery during the day where you can eat some simple dishes and drink a very fresh Bintang near the sea, which transforms at sunset with its wild night parties . Especially fun Wednesday nights that begin with its famous beer-pong.
8. One of the best things to see and do in Canggu is to enjoy its beautiful sunsets every day , and the beach is THE PLACE to do it. While you watch the sun go down, there is nothing better than having a beer or a refreshing young coconut in one of the many bars you will find on the beach. For those looking for something a little more luxurious than a puff armchair in the sand, La Brisa , La Laguna , or The Lawn are perfect beach clubs for them.
9. Another things to do in Canggu Bali to watch spectacular sunsets is Tanah Lot temple. Visit this ancient Hindu temple that stands on an imposing rock on the south coast of Bali, very close to Canggu. Tanah Lot is one of the most famous, visited and photographed places in all of Bali… so be prepared to be in the company of hundreds of tourists, but the place is worth it
10. It is likely that in Canggu you forget on more than one occasion that you are in Asia … but you are! And like any place in Southeast Asia worth its salt, here you will also find the typical daily markets for fruits, vegetables and everything necessary to meet the requirements of Balinese kitchens. Open from dawn to dusk, the Pasar Desa Canggu market (Pantai Batu Bolong St No.15) is a good example of traditional Balinese market.
Nothing to do with the previous and the purest Canggu style, do not miss these other markets in Canggu :
- Samadi Bali Sunday Market . There you will find products from local farmers free of chemicals, healthy and fresh. Good food and good vibes every Sunday from 9 am to 2 pm at the doors of the Samadi Bali Yoga school.
- Love Anchor . Local and international clothing brands and all kinds of souvenirs from Bali. Located in the heart of Canggu, this bazaar opens every day from 9 am to 11 pm.
- Old Man’s Market . On the last Saturday of each month, from 8 am to 3 pm, local designers who sell their creations of clothing, jewelry and other accessories meet at the famous Old Man´s premises. There you will also find a small section where local farmers sell their fresh produce, as well as rich snacks and homemade desserts.
11. Yes, it is true, Canggu is not Ubud … but one of the many things I like about Bali, is that you usually don’t have to look too hard to find beautiful rice terraces . Leave the motorcycle and the road chaos aside for a while and enjoy the lush green fields that can still be found in Canggu.
12. Go to a coworking space . If you are on vacation it is quite likely that you will not be interested in reading anything, but if you are one of the many digital nomads, then you will be happy to discover great places to do it in Canggu. In addition to comfortable and beautiful coffee shops with free Wi-Fi where you can have a delicious coffee while you work, some of the favorite workspaces among digital nomads open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week are:
- Canggu outpost . Probably the best place in Canggu to be completely productive in front of the computer 24 hours a day.
- Tropical Nomad . Very close to the famous shortcut, which we have talked about a little higher, this coworking space is super instagrameable. So in addition to working, you can take the opportunity to share a few photos and show off your workplace.
- Dojo . With its appealing pool and Echo beach just 100 meters away, it will cost more than one to concentrate on one of Canggu’s mythical workspaces.
13. Work or pleasure … whatever the reason that has taken you to Canggu, give your body and your mind a rest enjoying a relaxing Balinese massage in one of the many spas that you will find scattered throughout its streets. Without a doubt one of the best things to do in Canggu.
14. Meet the lively nightlife of Canggu . “Relax by day, animal party at night” could be the perfect summary to explain to a newcomer how things work in this part of the island. Start the week at Luigi’s Hot Pizza , with its lively, but brief, Monday party. Skateboard and beer at Pretty Poison every Tuesday and Thursday. Mythical Old Man’s Wednesdays and Fridays at the super cool beach club The Lawn . After a week with so much movement … it is best that you rest during the weekend!
15. Nothing better to put an end to this list of the best things to see and do in Canggu than to encourage you to, after a few intense days, contribute a grain of sand and contribute to making our beloved planet a better and cleaner place . Join the Ocean Mimic movement and its battle to end plastic and garbage on the beaches of Bali.
As you can see, in Canggu there is no smoky way of having a bad time … I know people who came only for a few days and stayed for months! These are the 15 best things to do in Canggu Bali, which one motivates you the most? Do you know other places to visit?